Historic Preservation in Arcata
The City of Arcata is committed to the maintenance
and preservation of local historic properties and landmarks that continue to define the character of our City.
Arcata, first known as Union, was settled in the spring of 1850 as a supply center for the interior mining districts. The town site at the foot of Fickle Hill was selected by the Union Company and subdivided into blocks and lots. Timber resources sustained the development of Arcata through the 19th century and into the mid 20th century. A public water system and fire department came along in 1884, followed by the Arcata Union newspaper in 1886, electricity in 1895, railroad connections with San Francisco in 1914, the establishment of Humboldt State Normal School (now Humboldt State University) in 1914, and the Redwood Highway in 1925. By 1930 Arcata's population had reached 1,700 and was growing.
Check out the historic Chapman House preservation project (see photo to the right).
Residential & Commercial Structures
Many fine examples of both residential and commercial structures from Arcata's early history survive today. The Plaza itself, with the statue of McKinley (1906) at its center, dates from the town's beginnings, and recalls the "greens" of New England or the town squares of the south. In addition to the Modern Period (1930 - present), an inventory of Arcata's historical structures and sites identified 4 early periods of residential building styles include:
- Craftsman (1910 - 1930)
- Settlement (1850 - 1885)
- Transitional (1900 - 1910)
- Victorian (1885 - 1900)
Mills Act Preservation Incentive
The city has recently implemented the Mills Act Tax Abatement Program to promote the restoration and preservation of qualified historic buildings by private property owners. You can find more information here.